I used to dread cleaning my own house. Why?
Because it always had to be done properly every time. And because I dreaded it it wouldn't get done as often as it should have. THE BUILD UP! THE CLUTTER! It would always take me 2 days... at least! So then scheduling that 2 days came around once, maybe twice a year. Horrible, I know. Please don't judge me. I'm grateful to have an amazing husband to help with the everyday surface stuff. But, I knew that it wasn't getting the proper care a home should get.
I spent years trying to organize and get rid of stuff, and while that would be great at first, it never did last. The results always ended the same... a disorganized mess.
At some point I started to get tired of all the 'stuff'. It was hindering me from keeping a nice, well kept, clean home. And lets face it, if your like me, then you don't have time to keep organizing your 'stuff' just so that you can clean. I began to think, "what's the point of all this anyway"? Honestly, 95% is junk anyways. The other 5% (yes 5%) is habit and the things I really use or love. Then I decided to only use things I loved... even if it's a carrot peeler.
On this journey I've learned to get rid of things that don't serve a purpose or puts negative thoughts in my head. (More about this in a later post.)
This is how I accidentally found minimalism. Although I'm not quite there; nor (at this point) do I think I'll ever adopt it strictly, SIMPLE has become my motto.
Over time I started to go through my things one by one and get rid of them or replace them. ... more getting rid of than replacing, only replacing things I need into things that I love.
It used to take me 2 whole days to properly clean my house. Since this purging I'm down to 2 hours and that's with giving the cat a bath before I clean the boys bathroom and still purging as I go.
The freedom and peace I feel from this is unexplainable. Really, you'd have to experience it for yourself.
Now, my house is (almost) always clean and I can do it on a weekly basis. This has been amazing for my physical, emotional and spiritual health. And my husband has no complaints!
What have you done to make cleaning easier for you? Maybe, you would like to share some of your struggles with cleaning? I'd love to hear your story in the comments below.